The nature & mixture of cultures have created a place of its own, with the beauty, the spirit & the fragrance not to be missed. The sun, the fruits & the sand will come on top. Come & see for yourself. All over the year. Karibu
Zanzibar in January - February - March
- Sunny & rather hot with temp above 32 degrees C - for those who really like tropical experience with strong & short rain falls followed by a sun - very refreshing..
Sun is up to 10 hours per day while the breeze is tempering the heat. It is best time for wind & kite surfing - Kaskazi is the strong N-E wind, very steady reaching 25 knots/ hr ...!
The Indian ocean around Zanzibar is always very pleasant - in January to March its gest to 29 degrees. Come enjoy it.
- Zanzibar Island is a great food destination - with the wonderful mix of African, Arabic & Indian cuisine, the nature of island brings the richness of sea food with coral reef species and the wonderful variety of fruits -local & natural. It is a season for unique local fruit varieties: shoki-shoki, papayas & sun-drenched fantastic watermelons. Come, try & enjoy it.
- There is plenty to visit on Zanzibar island - starting from amazing UNESCO World heritage Stone Town - a middle east medina in the heart of Africa, famous from its dismal history, cultural mix & of course Zanzibar doors - include it on your Zanzibar map. In the middle of February on Zanzibar island there is moment for music lovers - Sauti za Busara Music Festival runs for 5 days, named 'the friendliest festival on the planet’.
Weather in April and May
- It is rainy season - temperature falls below 29°C & up to 15 rainy days, some can be wild & strong. It is some type of experience however most of the hotels are closed in the month of May.
- Rains bring up the richness of nature - the colourfulness of flowers , abundance of fruits - endemic staffeli fruits, super rich in antioxidant. Best moment for pineapples & passion fruit. So good!
- Have a look at Zanzibar map - this is a great moment to see Mbweni Botanical gardens with over 650 species of plants or visit a spice farms to experience the richness of Zanzibar spices & its spice growing tradition. With fewer tourist on the island we recommend visiting Zanzibar National Museum where you can learn more about amazing Zanzibar history & take a boat trip to Chumba Island, once a quarantine place for maritime merchants & now a home for giant turtles - not only kids like it… A must see on Zanzibar Island.
Zanzibar in June - August - September
- In June the rain is over and the heaven for wind & kite surfers comes around - Kusi, the South East wind builds up & holds until October. It is coming every day & growing up to 20 knots in late afternoon.
- It is very comfortable in this time of the year - a bit cooler - 28°C - 29°C (84°F), sunny and windy weather on Zanzibar island. Evenings with wind chilling factor you may need to put a long sleeve shirt or a silk shawl, for ladies. Hardly any rain - you may freely walk to the reef on low tide to enjoy the amazing peacefulness & richness of the coral reef marine life.
- Zanzibar tradition is wild & rich , established as merchant post by Portuguese colonial traders than built as a capital of Oman powerful sultanate, its economic prosperity of 19th century & Arabic culture enhanced by Indian & Swahili influence make it a place of its own. You would see it all on the island - Portuguese fort, Sultan Palace of Wanders, ruins of Persian baths & the famous Zanzibar doors. All with the colourful dress & smile of friendly Zanzibaris. Karibu (Welcome)
- September is considered as best time for a vacation in Zanzibar. Almost perfect Zanzibar weather with no clouds and a little bit of nice wind - 9,5 to 10 hours of sunshine each day! The average high temperature in September during the day is about 27°C and not that humid. Perfect. If ever the rain comes will bring you nice relief. Welcome to Zanzibar weather.
- While you are here asking for one of a kind taste & health experience – bungo fruits, mangoes & jack fruits - it is the season!
Zanzibar in October - November - December
- October is a beautiful month to visit Zanzibar that will greet you with warm and gentle tropical weather, calm oceans’ waters, clear skies and light breezes. Super clear ocean water visibility – 25 m or deeper. In the end of October there can be some light rains adding to fragrance & freshness of the air moving slowly into what is called small rain season – with 8-9 rainy days in November, still sunny and pleasant.
- Ask for Mbilimbi & Nyanya chungu for a unique & very local fruits experience. And it is still mango time!
As tourist traffic slows down you can enjoy relaxing holidays even more – daily high around 30°C and 10 hours of sun. For golfers - do not miss a world unique golf course.
- December is warming up – up to 31°C and average at 28°C . At nights could be somewhere around 25°C (77°F) and what is more exciting you can enjoy evening markets and bazaars. Worth it to include on your Zanzibar map. Indian Ocean will not disappoint you with temperature around 27°C (81°F).
Christmas and New Years Eve here is a once in a lifetime experience. Come & see it. On the 9th of December there is Zanzibar's Independence and Republic Day celebrated with fireworks and evening parties that you can participate.